Aspire’s 20th anniversary
“No Going Back” – An opportunity to ensure there is no return to pre-COVID levels of homelessness and marginalisation.
The health crisis of the last year has shone a spotlight on the unacceptable levels of homelessness and inequality in Oxfordshire, and demonstrated the importance of everyone having a safe place to call ‘home’, with secure, dignified work.
At the start of the pandemic, over 90% of people known to be experiencing homelessness countywide were offered emergency accommodation – with over 120 people supported into hotel and college rooms across Oxford city alone.
Aspire Oxford has supported hundreds of people to find or keep secure housing and employment throughout this time. But thousands are now at risk in our local communities, as protective measures such as the tenancy eviction ban and furlough scheme come to an end.
But as we emerge from the other side, and society prepares to reopen, what we do next could change everything. We now have a unique window of opportunity to take action – and we’re determined to ensure there is no going back to a homelessness and inequality crisis for Oxfordshire.
We are committed to:
• Repurposing empty properties in our communities into secure homes
• Developing an affordable lettings service
• Working with local authorities, housing associations and community partners across Oxfordshire to improve routes out of homelessness
• Dedicating staff time and expertise to ensure everyone has access to the tailored support they need around fulfilling employment and safe housing
• Expanding our homelessness prevention service and introducing dedicated support for young people at risk
“We’re encouraged by Aspire’s determination to work towards ending homelessness in Oxfordshire. Aspire’s 20th anniversary campaign ‘No Going Back’ couldn’t come at a better time – we need to take action today as we begin to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Julia & Gina Bradbury, founders of The Outdoor Guide
Support Aspire today
• Make a donation to our appeal, or set up a regular gift with Aspire
• Fundraise or complete a challenge at home, work or school
• Volunteer with Aspire to get to know your local community, build on existing knowledge, skills and experience, be part of a team and make a real difference
• Nominate Aspire as your Charity of the Year, and get your team involved with our journey
• Procure Aspire’s professional social enterprise services and support business for good
Leave a gift to Aspire in your will
Find out more about Aspire on our Univ in the Community page. You can also email Aspire.
Published: 14 June 2021