Thank you for considering making a gift to Univ. The College has an incredibly generous community of alumni and friends – your gift, whatever the size, really does make a difference. We appreciate your involvement and support, and your generosity is sincerely appreciated.
Cheques should be made payable to “University College, Oxford” and sent to The Development Office, University College, High Street, Oxford OX1 4BH, UK. Alternatively, please see our United Kingdom gift form.
Your gift can often be enhanced by a variety of tax breaks for charitable giving. Univ itself operates tax-efficient giving from the USA (via AFUCO). There are tax-efficient giving initiatives operated by the University of Oxford for a range of countries; see below for more information. If you have any questions regarding giving, please do not hesitate to contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by calling +44 (0)1865 276 674.
- If you are a UK taxpayer, you can declare that all your donation should be treated as Gift Aid donations. Doing so maximises your gift because we can reclaim 25p for every £1 you donate at no further cost to you.
Higher and Additional Rate Tax
- If you pay Income Tax at the higher rate (40%) or additional rate (45%) and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all you Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code. If you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in that tax year it is your responsibility to pay the difference.
- Find out more about tax relief over charitable donations here.
Payroll Giving, Matched Giving & Giving Shares
- UK taxpayers may be able to give to charities (such as Univ) directly from their payroll under a Give As You Earn (GAYE) scheme. Some employers also operate a generous GAYE topping-up scheme, similar to matching gifts, increasing the value of your monthly gift by an agreed percentage.
- Please contact a member of your HR department directly to find out more about GAYE. Please note that the College is unable to reclaim any tax from the Government on the GAYE donation(s) made.
- When completing the form, please ensure you quote the full name of your preferred charity: “University College, Oxford”. Further details are available from CAF.
E: email@example.com T: +44 3000 123 000.
- Many companies now match donations made to charity by their employees, either pound for pound or, in some cases, even a double-match.
- Matching gifts usually require a simple form from your Human Resources department that you send to us for confirmation. If your employer is not included in the list of Matching Gift Companies PDF, please contact your HR department to find out whether they participate.
- Giving via shares is one of the most tax efficient ways to make a charitable gift. Find out more in our Donating Shares to Univ PDF.
If you are a European resident, you may be able to maximise your gift through Transnational Giving Europe (TGE) via the University of Oxford.
TGE is a collaborative giving scheme offered by a partnership of European foundations. It enables donors (both corporations and individuals) resident in one of the participating countries to offer financial support to non-profit organisations in other member countries. Beneficiaries benefit directly from the tax advantages provided for in the legislation of their country of residence.
For more information on giving to Univ via the University of Oxford, please visit the website here.
The University of Oxford offers Swiss residents the option of tax efficient giving via The Swiss Friends of Oxford University. Please follow the following this link to make your gift, selecting the option “College” on the Gift information page and choosing “University College” in the drop-down list of colleges.
The University of Oxford also offers German residents the option of tax-efficient giving via the German Friends of Oxford University. This is a registered charity and is authorised to issue donation receipts to German donors, entitling them to offset charitable gifts from their taxable income in Germany. Please contact the Development Office for more information about making a gift – E: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a US taxpayer, it is possible to make a tax-efficient gift to Univ either online via Americans for Oxford (AFO) or to use the gift form and donate via the American Friends of University College, Oxford (AFUCO).
Online gift via AFO
- If you are based in the USA, it is now possible make a tax-efficient gift to Univ, online, via Americans for Oxford (AFO), a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
- Please select University College in the “I would like my gift to be used for:” drop-down box, and 100% of your donation will make its way to Univ. Please see the AFO giving form.
AFUCO gift form
- The American Friends of University College, Oxford, Inc. has since 1988 donated to University College Oxford each year.
- To make a gift to the American Friends of University College Oxford, Inc., please download our donation form or make an online gift via JustGiving.
For US taxpayers, a bequest made to the American Friends of University College, Oxford, Inc. (“AFUCO”) is deductible for federal estate tax purposes. Further details and Legacy Sample Wording for US Taxpayers can be found here.
Canadian taxpayers are able to make both single and regular gifts online via the central University of Oxford website, selecting from four different areas at Univ: Undesignated, Student Support, Buildings and Tutorial Fund.
When visiting development.ox.ac.uk/donate, please type “University College” in the “Enter a fund name…” search box, which will display the four different areas of Univ you can support. When making your donation, please tick the “I am a Canadian tax-payer and I would like to receive a Canadian Tax Receipt” box.
Giving tax-efficiently from Australia is possible when making a gift to Univ via the Australian National University (ANU). Both single and regular gifts via ANU can be made online. When visiting engage.anu.edu.au to make your gift, please select “Oxford Australia University College Old Members” in the designation drop down.
More information on the Oxford Australia Scholarships Fund can be found at anu.edu.au
Hong Kong taxpayers can now give tax-efficiently to Univ through the University of Oxford China Office. Gifts of HK$100 or above may be claimed for tax deduction purposes. Please contact the Development Office for more information about making a gift – E: email@example.com