Thanks to the generosity of our Old Members, Univ has a number of Travel Grants and Scholarships available to assist students in funding fieldwork and other trips linked to their studies. These include:
- Univ Old Members’ Trust Travel Grants for both undergraduates and graduates
- Master’s Scholarships (undergraduates only) for travel in the USA and Canada, through gifts made by American and Canadian Old Members
- Master’s Scholarships (undergraduates only) for travel to Hong Kong and China (part of an exchange scheme with the Peking University Law School)
- Roger Short Scholarships for both undergraduates and graduates for travel to Turkey and neighbouring countries
Roger Short Scholarships - Further Info
Roger Short was educated at Malvern College and at Univ, where he was a Classics Scholar from 1963-1967. A fluent Turkish speaker he devoted much of his subsequent career in the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office to the country; he was serving as British Consul General in Istanbul when he was killed in a terrorist attack on the Consulate building in November, 2003.
“My time in Turkey provided me with a fundamentally unique experience, which I could never have experienced without the benevolence of a Roger Short Scholarship.” – Abigail Reeves (2012, Law)
The Roger Short Memorial Fund finances a travel scholarship programme to Turkey and neighbouring countries (particularly Greece, Bulgaria and Cyprus, but with the emphasis on Turkey) in perpetuity.
Many of the reports and diaries written by those awarded the Roger Short Scholarship are published on our website – a full list of all travel reports can be seen here – or select from one of the examples below:
The Roger Short Memorial Fund Newsletters detail those students who have befitted from the fund set up in Roger’s name which finances a travel scholarship programme to Turkey and neighbouring countries.
Select one of the RSMF Newsletters below to read or download as a PDF.
- David and Lois Sykes Scholarships (undergraduates and graduates) for travel to China, established through the gift of Univ Old Member David Sykes and his wife
- Brewster Scholarships (overseas graduates) for travel in the UK, funded through the generosity of an American Old Member and the late Mrs Kingman Brewster
Many of our students who benefit from these grants and scholarships write Travel Reports which can be found on our News and Features page.
Current students will find further information and application details on our Intranet.
If you are a Univ Old Member who would be interested in establishing or contributing to a travel scholarship, further details are available on our Your Impact pages.