RIP Sir Maurice Shock
The College deeply regrets to report the death of Sir Maurice Shock, who died on Sunday aged 92. Sir Maurice had been our Politics Fellow from 1956-77, and our Estates Bursar from 1958-73. He was elected an Honorary Fellow in 1985.
After serving with the Intelligence Corps after 1945, Sir Maurice read PPE at Balliol, getting a First in PPE, and then did postgraduate work at St. Antony’s. He was briefly a Lecturer at Christ Church and Trinity, before being elected Fellow and Praelector in Politics at Univ in 1956.
As a tutor, Sir Maurice helped strengthen Univ’s fine reputation for the study of PPE, but as Estates Bursar, he transformed the appearance of the College. On our central site, Helen’s Court, the Goodhart Building and the Mitchell Building were all created on his watch. He once reminisced to the Archivist about the origins of the Goodhart Building. The back of the Examination Schools was rather grim, and needed covering, and in front of it stood an antiques gallery, with a workshop on the top. At a time when Arthur Goodhart was becoming growing frustrated at the slow progress in the plans to create Helen’s Court, Sir Maurice remembered taking him to the top of the workshops, showing him the view from there, and suggesting that this could be a good site for a new building. The Master’s imagination was caught, and that moment, Sir Maurice thought, was the germ of the Goodhart Building.
Elsewhere in Oxford, he took the difficult decision to sell the College’s property to the north of the Old Parsonage Hotel (now the University’s IT centre), and invest instead in some properties in north Oxford on which he oversaw the start of the building of Stavertonia. Now that the Univ. North project is starting to take shape, we can be grateful to Sir Maurice for laying the foundations of the College’s north Oxford estate.
Sir Maurice retained a lifelong affection for Master Goodhart, once describing him as a second father to him. When the Goodharts were living in the penthouse suite on the Goodhart Building in their later years, and finding it rather difficult to cook for themselves, having rarely had to do so, Sir Maurice and his wife would regularly bring them suppers.
Outside Univ, Sir Maurice played a significant role in University affairs. He was Treasurer of the Oxford Union from 1954-72, and he served on the Hebdomadal Council from 1969-75, but perhaps his greatest contribution to Oxford was to serve on the Franks Commission of Inquiry into the University from 1964-6.
Sir Maurice left Univ in 1977 on being appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leicester. However, he returned to Oxford in 1987, when he was elected Rector of Lincoln College. He retired in 1994. He was knighted in 1988. His wife Dorothy predeceased him in 1998, and he leaves a son and three daughters, to whom the College sends its deepest sympathies.