In spite of its name, the New Building of University College is almost 170 years old. It is, however, quite a bit newer than either of our quadrangles, which is how the name stuck.
The New Building was built between 1840 and 1842. The architect of the New Building was Charles Barry, best known for designing the Houses of Parliament. This is the only building he designed in Oxford. It was intended to offer accommodation to Fellows and students, and it fulfils that function to this day.