News roundup – October, 2022
Each month we bring together all of the latest news from our extended Univ family. From Alumni and College news, to updates on Univ North and our Profile and Treasure features. We hope you enjoy this month’s news from Univ — all in one place…
If you have news to share or ideas for features please email email@example.com
• Valerie Amos, The Master, is being interviewed as part of the first comprehensive interdisciplinary history of the creation, trajectories, legacies and lived experience of the Equal Pay Act 1970 and Sex Discrimination Act 1975.
• Ayesha Ali (2021, Medicine) and Max Israel (2021, History and Russian), JCR Welfare Reps, reflect on World Mental Health Day.
• In the latest in a series of features showcasing images from Univ’s history contrasted to their modern photographic equivalents, we look at the Goodhart’s transformation.
• Read the Graduate Old Members’ Trust Travel report by Ethan Petrou (2018, DPhil Earth and Environmental Sciences) on the Goldschmidt geochemistry conference.
• Univ is preparing to give a warm welcome to the first Centenary Visiting Professor in PPE at the University of Oxford, Professor Mathias Thoenig.
• In this Old Members’ Trust Graduate Conference and Academic Travel Fund Report – Lot Koopmans (2021, Environmental Research (NERC DTP) – Earth Sciences) reports on fieldwork in Zimbabwe.
• Meet the 2022-2023 University College Boat Club Committee.
• Mark Czeller (DPhil candidate, Oriental Studies) details the Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference in this Univ Old Members’ Trust Graduate Conference Report.
• Last month, Opportunity Oxford won at the Vice-Chancellor’s Education Awards. The project was submitted for consideration by Dr Andrew Bell, Senior Tutor at Univ, who is the coordinator for Opportunity Oxford.
• Now online: The 2022 issue of the University College Record.
• “The Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine: a vaccine for the world” has won a Vice-Chancellor’s Innovation & Engagement Award.
• Read the Univ Old Members’ Trust Graduate Travel Report by Gwion Jones (2020, DPhil History) on Northern Protestant missionaries research.
Read all of Univ’s College news or explore Univ’s Treasures.
• Nicolas Kyriakides (MSt in Law and DPhil in Law, 2011) was recently awarded the European Citizen’s Prize for an NGO he founded in 2012 called Oxygono.
• Dr Lexie Elliott (1994, Physics) reports on our recent 1992-1996 Gaudy.
• Mike Shilling (1975, PPE) reported on The 2022 USPGA Autumn Meeting.
• Univ’s 1972 Golden Reunion took place on Sunday, 25 September, 2022; Nigel Wood (1972, English) kindly provided this report.
Read all of Univ’s Alumni news.
• Shermar Pryce (2021, PPE) discusses his plans as JCR President, his proudest achievement and the advice he would give to freshers and prospective students in our latest Profile Feature.
• In our latest Profile Feature we meet third year Law student and Co-Chairperson of Oxford Legal Assistance, Kylie Chong.
Explore all of our Profile Features.
• In our first book review of the month Barbie (Biochemistry) sets the microscope to examine Lewis Thomas’s The Lives of a Cell.
• In this latest book review, Julian (Oriental Studies) takes a look at Martin Jacques’s When China Rules the World.
Discover more student-led Reviews.
• Dr Clare Leaver, Supernumerary Fellow in Economics, Professor of Economics and Public Policy, was recognised at the Teaching Excellence Awards 2021-22, which are presented by the Social Sciences Division.
• On 5 October Dr Martin Yuille (1966, Biochemistry) co-presented “Saving Sick Britain”: a public service webinar by a team of leading Professors on the change needed for our NHS to survive.