News roundup – September, 2022
Each month we bring together all of the latest news from our extended Univ family. From Alumni and College news, to updates on Univ North and our Profile and Treasure features. We hope you enjoy this month’s news from Univ — all in one place…
If you have news to share or ideas for features please email email@example.com
• The College joins with the nation in recording with deep regret the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 8 September 2022.
• Congratulations to Clare Leaver, Supernumerary Fellow, who has been awarded the title of Professor in the University’s latest Recognition of Distinction exercise.
• We explore the once hidden history of our Hall’s magnificent ceiling in this month’s “Then and Now”.
• College is getting ready for our final Open Day of the year – meet our September Helpers.
• On Monday 12 September at 8.30pm, Univ will be appearing on University Challenge.
• Stefan Dascalu (2018, DPhil Bioscience – Interdisciplinary Bioscience (BBSRC DTP)) has been awarded a Knighthood to the National Order of Cultural Merit.
• On 11 September, in collaboration with the Oxford Preservation Trust, Univ once more welcomed visitors for Oxford Open Doors.
• 60 students from Dixons Trinity Academy in Bradford, led by their teacher James O’Connell-Lauder (2007, PPE & PGCE), visited Univ.
• Univ Futures is our annual magazine for donors, which illustrates the impact that philanthropy has had on the College – read Issue 2.
• Univ is delighted to announce the appointment of our new Interim Development Director Rebecca Baxter.
• In this month’s Treasure, we look at some of the bookplates used over the centuries by Univ Library.
• Read the Univ Old Members’ Trust Graduate Travel Report by Nicolas Boulle (2018, DPhil Industrially Focused Mathematical Modelling) on the XXI Householder Symposium.
• Shermar Pryce (2021, PPE), JCR President 2022-23, and Michael Hutchinson (2019, DPhil in Statistics and Machine Learning), WCR President 2022-23, welcome our new students.
• Read the Graduate Research Training Fund Travel Report by Elizabeth Hamilton (2019, DPhil Population Health) on the Pharmacoepidemiology Summer School.
• Gregory is in his second year studying PPE and is the International Rep for the JCR Committee. Find out more about him in his Profile Feature.
• Currently the Co-Chair of Oxford University Labour Club and part of Univ’s University Challenge team; meet Hari Bravery (2020, English).
Explore all of our Profile Features.
• Valerie Amos, Master of Univ, discussed the challenges ahead for new PM Liz Truss on CNN International’s flagship global affairs interview program Amanpour.
• Valerie Amos, the Master, discussed the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and King Charles III’s ascension on various radio and TV programmes including Channel 4’s Andrew Neil: Britain after the Queen, BBC Radio 4, BBC’s HM The King: Westminster Tributes and ABC Radio’s RN Breakfast.