News roundup – June, 2023
Each month we bring together all of the latest news from our extended Univ family. From Alumni and College news, to updates on Univ North and our Profile and Treasure features. We hope you enjoy this month’s news from Univ — all in one place…
If you have news to share or ideas for features please email email@example.com
• Professor Sarah Harper CBE has been elected Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences.
• On 25 May Univ hosted the 37th HLA Hart Memorial Lecture.
• Tamsin Mather has been involved in the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition installation “Sensing Volcanoes”.
• Many fascinating fiction and non-fiction books have been written by Univites this year, discover them in our Publications Update.
• Our Open Days wouldn’t be possible without them; meet our Student Helpers 2023.
• Our latest Travel Report is by Matthew Cotton (2020, Interdisciplinary Bioscience) on the APS March meeting.
• On Tuesday 13 June College pledged to eat vegetarian or vegan for lunch as part of the Switch Up Your Lunch Campaign.
• Justin Leung (2022, Environmental Research (NERC DTP)) reports on the “Interrogating the Restless Earth” short course.
• Explore the complete redesign and planting of our Fellows’ Garden.
• On Saturday, 27 May, we were delighted to invite Alumni and other members of our extended College family to join us for our Summer Eights reception.
• Explore a book with connections to one of Oxford and Univ’s great benefactors, Dr John Radcliffe, in our latest Treasure Feature Less study & more exercise.
• On the evening of 14 June, 2023, Univ held the 2023 Leavers’ Garden Party.
• Read the UCBC Trinity Term 2023 newsletter.
• Two recent Beacon scholars, Ardeel Hussain (2022, PPE) and Naomi Ololuo (2022, Law), describe what the programme means to them in our Beacon Programme update.
• Alex Mapp (2021, Inorganic Chemistry for Future Manufacturing), reports on the 19th European Workshop on Phosphorus Chemistry.
• We are pleased to announce that in September Univ will welcome Felice Nassar as our Director of Development, Communications, and Alumni Relations.
• On Saturday 13 May Univ held its annual William of Durham Club luncheon.
• Rebecca Kuang’s (2019, MSc Contemporary Chinese Studies) novel Babel has won the Nebula Award for Best Book of the Year.
• On Sunday 21 May, the Chapel Choir was joined by 20 old choir members at Evensong for a Choir Alumni reunion.
• This November sees the publication of Dr Chris Birkett’s (1979, PPE) book, Bill Clinton at the Church of Baseball.
• Old and current members of the Boat Club recently gathered together for the annual Univ Leander Lunch.
• From 29 June to 1 July, Frederick Waxman’s (2014, Experimental Psychology) company Figure are to perform Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Opera Holland Park.
• Nick Schlee (1952, English) has an upcoming exhibition of oil paintings and drawings, “Dazzling Water”.
Read all of Univ’s Alumni news.
Tamsin Mather, Supernumerary Fellow in Earth Sciences, joined presenters Brian Cox and Robin Ince for the Supervolcanoes episode of The Infinite Monkey Cage; listen at bbc.co.uk