News roundup – March, 2023
Each month we bring together all of the latest news from our extended Univ family. From Alumni and College news, to updates on Univ North and our Profile and Treasure features. We hope you enjoy this month’s news from Univ — all in one place…
If you have news to share or ideas for features please email email@example.com
• On Saturday, 4 February, Claire Ward (soprano) and colleagues gave a concert of Handel concert arias.
• Rebecca Colquhoun (2020, Environmental Research (NERC DTP)) reports on the Statistical Seismology Meeting in Corsica.
• Enjoy World Book Day 2023 with a selection of books from our Univ Family and reviews from our students.
• Univ first year historians had the opportunity to get an advanced view of an exhibition coming to the Ashmolean Museum this September on “Colour Revolution: Victorian Art, Fashion and Design”.
• Discover who the winner is of Univ Library’s inaugural poetry competition.
• Congratulations to the Univ students who competed at the BUCS Gymnastics Championships; The Oxford University team came second overall.
• Roberto Lacourt (2020, Chemistry) won a gold medal in U63.5kg 16+ bouts at BUCS Boxing Championships.
• To celebrate International Women’s Day 2023 we are delighted to bring together this gallery of more than 90 Profile Features.
• Serena Qiao (2022, Interdisciplinary Bioscience (BBSRC DTP)) reports on the UK Society for Extracellular Vesicles conference.
• On Sunday 14 May, Univ will be entering a College team to take part in the Oxford Town and Gown 10k.
• In our latest Then and Now feature we explore the expansion of dining at Univ in The Hall Moves West.
• Captained by Bronwen Hyde (2021, Jurisprudence), Oxford University Fencing Club’s women’s team won the BUCS Premier South Championship 2022/23.
• William Matthews’ (2019, DPhil Engineering Science) Old Members’ Trust Graduate Conference and Academic Travel Fund report is on the PRIME 22 conference.
• Jorin Riexinger (2020, DPhil Biology) is a member of Oxford University Judo Club’s Men’s Blues team who, on Sunday 5 March, won the Judo Varsity Match.
• In honour of the Spring equinox, we to explore one of the Library’s Treasures – a book about Stonehenge.
• Read the Old Members’ Trust Graduate Conference and Academic Travel Fund report by Stanislaw Szymanowicz (2022, DPhil Engineering Science) on the European Conference on Computer Vision.
• Naomi Mburu (2018, DPhil Engineering Science) reports on the 7th International Symposium on Liquid Metals Applications for Fusion (ISLA).
• Set to be released in April 2023 is Memoona Ahmed’s (2018, Experimental Psychology) debut poetry collection once-joined pieces.
• David Todd (2010, Music) has been awarded Associate Honours (ARAMs) from the Royal Academy of Music.
• Elspeth Tolan (2021, History) undertook an internship at The National Archives.
• This month Alexander Cook (2003, Law) will be appointed King’s Counsel.
• A number of Univ OMs are speaking and leading tours at the Oxford Literary Festival (25 March to 2 April).
• Read the report by Peter Chambers (1989, Maths) and explore the photo gallery from the 16th Univ Annual Football Day.
Read all of Univ’s Alumni news.
Univ North News
• In our latest Profile Feature we meet Alumni Katherine Knight (2016, Classics).
• Jane Barraclough (2020, History), previously Women*’s rep for the JCR, Co-President of the 1979 Society, and Vice President of Oxford femsoc, is the subject of our latest Profile Feature.
Explore all of our Profile Features.
• Solon the Lawgiver – Univ’s Professor Bill Allan joined Melvyn Bragg and guests to discuss the statesman and poet whose political & legal reforms transformed Athens in the 6th century BC. Listen at bbc.co.uk
• Professor Polly Jones contributed to the Talking History podcast on the anniversary of Stalin’s death. Listen at goloudplayer.com