Library Collections

Our Main Library houses modern books, journals, CDs, and DVDs. We add more than 1,000 new items every year, including multiple copies of key textbooks in many subjects. The collection primarily aims to support undergraduate degrees, but includes much of interest to post-graduate students, especially those on taught courses.

 

The Law Library has an extensive collection of textbooks, reports, and journals. Many further law resources are available online via the terminal provided or laptops connected via ethernet.

 

Univ has a diverse collection of Early Printed Books, the core of which consists of the donations of college members during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Although the collection is primarily for the use of members of the College, visiting scholars with a genuine need may contact the Librarian to make an appointment to view items in the collection.

 

The Univ Libraries house three notable named collections: the Browne Library, the Alport Collection, and the Robert Ross Memorial Collection.

 

The Browne Library holds almost 2000 pre-1800 titles bequeathed in 1764 by Univ Master John Browne for the use of subsequent Masters. Recent research has raised questions about the earlier provenance of these books, many of which come from the collection of a previous Master, Arthur Charlett.

 

The Alport Collection, consisting of around 1000 volumes, was bequeathed to Univ in the 1970s by Erich Alport, a Univ Old Member who matriculated in 1926. The collection contains works of twentieth century literature, including many first editions.

 

The Robert Ross Memorial Collection, which contains letters and other material relating to Oscar Wilde and his circle, has recently been returned to College, having been held in the Bodleian since the 1930s. The collection was created by Walter Edwin Ledger (d. 1931), Wilde’s bibliographer, and named after Robert Baldwin Ross (1869-1918), Wilde’s friend and literary executor.

 

The College’s collection of more than two hundred manuscripts, some dating from the 12th century, is housed in the Bodleian Library.

 

The College is a member of the Oxford Conservation Consortium.