Property at Waterstock and Woodstock, Oxfordshire

A house at Woodstock, and some land at Waterstock, were given to University College by Simon Perrot (or Parret or Perret) in 1584, just a few months before his death. Perrot (1514–84) had been a Fellow of Magdalen College in 1533–50, and also Principal of Magdalen Hall in 1541–50 (see further A. B. Emden, A Biographical Register of the University of Oxford A. D. 1501 to 1540 (Oxford 1974), 442–3). Perrot also gave benefactions to Magdalen College to endow an annual speech given by a scholar, known as the ‘Perrot Oration’, and an annual sermon to be preached in the College’s Chapel on St. Mark’s Day.
    Perrot gave the Waterstock and Woodstock properties to University College, on condition that they arranged for a sermon to be preached every year on the day of St. Simon and St. Jude at the church of St. Peter in the East (where he would be buried), and also distribute 20s among the poor of that parish, and he gave the Master and Fellows £4 in the name of a mutuum or “stock”. This was a sum of money which the Bursar would pass on each year to his successor, having added a little more money into it, which he could use during the year as a source of ready cash.
    The Woodstock house, which was in Market Street, later became an inn called the Blandford Arms. More information on it can be found in A. Crossley, (ed.), A History of the County of Oxford (VCH) xii (Oxford, 1990), 347–8. The Waterstock estate comprised was described in 1566 as one acre of meadow in Lymecroft and one half acre of land in the Westfield in the parish of Waterstock, which a document of 1579 shows to have been once chantry lands, and bought by Perrot in 1550. It seems, however, that the College’s interest in Waterstock eventually diminished to the rights to the first yearly crop on two small parcels of land. The College sold the house in Woodstock in 1921; it is not known when it ceased to exercise its rights in Waterstock.
    UC:E8/C3/1–2 were transferred from the Estates Bursary in July 2002 as part of Accession No. 378, and UC:E8/D3/26 from there in December 2007 as part of Accession No. 753; the other items in this collection were found in the archives during the stocktaking of 1993.

    UC:E8/D1 - DOCUMENT CONCERNING WATERSTOCK, 1566–79

UC:E8/D1/1    17 Apr 8 Eliz I (1566) and 1 Dec 1579
        Deposition made by William Lyons, Walter Wolton, Gregorie Stevens, and Nicolas Wilgoose of Waterstock, taken by Symon Parrot and William Leche concerning an acre of meadow in Lyme Croft and half an acre of pasture in the West Field within the ground of Lady Elizabeth Cave, widow, all in the parish of Waterstock.
            Inside this paper is a note, dated 1 Dec 1579, by Simon Parret himself, that he received a rent of 20d a year from land at Waterstock from the time of the suppression of chantries in 1547 and then after he bought these lands himself in 1550.

UC:E8/D2 - DOCUMENTS CONCERNING THE DONATION OF THE PROPERTIES, 1584–7
                    
UC:E8/D2/1    20 July 26 Eliz I (1584)
        Grant
        Parties:
        1.    Simon Perot alias Parritt of the county of Oxford gentleman
        2.    William James, Master of University College, and the Fellows of the same.
        Property: 1. a tenement held by Henry Redgate and once held by the Chantry of the Blessed Mary in Woodstock, obtained by Simon Perot from John Wright and Thomas Holmes of London, gentlemen, on 12 July 1 Mary I (1553), which was granted to them by Edward VI as part of a manor of East Greenwich, Kent on 5 July 7 Edward VI (1553).  
        2. The part of the meadow in the tenure of  Mark Simondes in Waterstock, which was obtained by Simon Perot from John Doddington of London, gentleman on 17 December 3 Edward VI (1549), and which was granted to him by Edward VI on 16 December 3 Edward VI (1549)
        3. A meadow containing an acre, and half an acre of land in Waterstock held by Roger Cave knight, obtained by Simon Perot from Thomas Rowe of London, gentleman, John Jonson of London, fishmonger and Henry Herdson on London, skinner among others on 20 May 4 Edward VI (1550) granted to them 15 May 4 Edward VI (1550)
        The lands are to be held from Queen Elizabeth and her successors  by William James and his successors  from the feast of St Michael the Archangel (29 September) next following
        Comments: Attached is a letter granting attorney to Robert Parrett and John Smith dated 21 July 26 Elizabeth (1584).  This gave them permission to perform the grants of the lands in Woodstock and Waterstock. A note on the reverse records the possession of the premises in Woodstock being given to John Brown and Thomas Cauldwell by Robert Parrett on 25 July 26 Elizabeth (1584), and of the lands at Waterford to John Brown by Robert Parrett and John Smith on 29 July.
        Consideration: Certain conditions which were stated in another document dated 24 July 1584 (namely D1/2 below).
        Language: Latin

UC:E8/D2/2    24 July 26 Eliz I (1584)
        Composition by William James, Master of University College, in relation to the gift by Simon Perot, Gen., alias Parrat, MA and late Fellow of Magdalen College, of one tenement and garden ground in Woodstock, Oxon. (currently leased to Henry Redgate for 21 years under a lease of 1 Apr 1581), and a parcel of meadow in Waterstock, Oxon. (currently leased to Mark Simonds), and an acre of pasture also in Waterstock (currently leased to Roger Cave, Esq.).
            Perot gave these properties to University, on condition that they arranged for a sermon to be preached every year on the day of St. Simon and St. Jude at the church of St. Peter in the East, and also distribute 20s among the poor of that parish, as well as also gives the Master and Fellows £4 in the name of a mutuum (“stock”). Details for the appointment of a minister to give the sermon, and penalties for failing to observe these conditions are set out in detail. Any question arising upon the premisses of the agreement shall be determined by the President of Magdalene College, the Provost of Queens College and the master of the University College or any two of them.  Signed by Simon Parret. UC:P165/L1/1 is another copy of this document.

UC:E8/D2/3    22 Aug 29 Eliz I (1587)
        An inventory taken of the tenement at Woodstock belonging to University College, now occupied by Henry Redgate, shoemaker, according to articles of agreement made between Henry Redgate and Simon Parret of the University of Oxford, gentleman, in 23 Elizabeth (1581), noting what items Henry Redgate agreed to leave in the tenement at the end of the leased term.

UC:E8/D2/4    22 Aug 1587
        Another copy of the preceding inventory.

    UC:E8/D3 - LEASES OF THE HOUSE IN WOODSTOCK, 1581–1869

UC:E8/D3/1    1 Apr 23 Eliz I (1581)
        Lease for 21 Years
        Parties:
        1.    Simon Parret of the Universitie of Oxford, gent.
        2.    Henry Redgate of Woodstock, Oxon, Shoemaker.
        Property: One tenement with appurtenances in Woodstock, now in the tenure of Walter Eborne, shoemaker.
        Comments: The deed has a few holes in the middle, and a few words are lost.
        Rent: 53s 4d a year.

UC:E8/D3/2    1 Apr 23 Eliz I (1581)
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/1 above. This has been gnawed at around the edges, but only a few words have been lost.

UC:E8/D3/3    20 Oct 41 Eliz I (1599)
        Lease for 30 Years
        Parties:
        1.    George Abbott, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford, and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Henrye Redgate of the borough of New Woodstock, Oxon, Shoemaker.
        Property: A tenement in Woodstock.
        Rent: 53s 4d a year.

UC:E8/D3/4    25 Mar 16 Ja I (1618)
        Lease for 30 Years
        Parties:
        1.    John Bancroft, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford, and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    (a) Richard Rudgate of Oxford, Glover.
            (b) Margerie, wife of 2a.
        Property: A tenement in New Woodstock, Oxon., lately occupied by Henry Rudgate.
        Rent: 53s 4d a year.

UC:E8/D3/5    26 Mar 1646
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    Thomas Walker, D.D. Master of University College, and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Giles Franklin of New Woodstock, Oxon, Barber.
        Property: A tenement in New Woodstock, Oxon., lately occupied by Richard Rudgate.
        Rent: 53s 4d a year.
        Comments: On page 5 of the College’s fine book (UC:EB2/F/1), it is reported that on this day ‘Giles Franklin of Woodstock tooke of us the lease of our tenement at Woodstock, which was much decayed by reason of these unruly times: and gave him for fine 7 li [added in margin ‘and for the seals, writings and register 3 li more’] upon condition, that the lease might bee renewed for 40 yeares. And if wee had not accepted of this proffer, that tenement would have utterly bine decayed, to the losse of all the charitable uses, for which it was designed. For wee offered the lease to many others upon lower termes, and none of them would accept of it: and wee had already lost 4-yeares rent to the weakning of our own College stocke.’

UC:E8/D3/6    18 Aug 1671
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    Richard Clayton, D.D. Master of University College, Oxford, and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Peter Francklin of New Woodstock, Barber Surgeon.
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/7    8 Apr 1691
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    Thomas Bennet, B.D., Master of University College, Oxford, and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Peter Francklin of New Woodstock, Innholder.
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/8    14 Jun 1705
        Lease for 40 Years
        1.    Arthur Charlett, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford, and the Fellows of the same.
        2    Peter Francklin (as in UC:E8/D3/7 above).
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/9    14 Jun 1705
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/8 above.

UC:E8/D3/10    25 Sep 1720
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    Arthur Charlett, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Roger Francklin of Charlbury, Oxon, Innholder.
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/11    25 Sep 1720
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/10 above.

UC:E8/D3/12    26 Apr 1734
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    Thomas Cockman, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Roger Francklin (as in UC:E8/D3/10 above).
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/13    26 Apr 1734
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/12 above.

UC:E8/D3/14    4 May 1750
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    John Browne, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Thomas Morris of Woodstock, Oxon., Butcher.
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/15    28 Sep 1762
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    John Browne, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Ann Morris of Woodstock, Oxford, Widow.
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.
        Comments: Folded into this lease is a note about making out a new lease on this property in 1776.

UC:E8/D3/16    28 Sep 1762
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/15 above.

UC:E8/D3/17    17 Jun 1776
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1    Nathan Wetherell, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    James Barnard of Woodstock, Oxford [status not given].
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/5 above.

UC:E8/D3/18    8 Apr 1790
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties, Property, and Rent: All as in UC:E8/D3/17 above (even down to Barnard’s status not being given).

UC:E8/D3/19    8 Apr 1790
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/19 above.

UC:E8/D3/20    29 Sep 1804
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties, Property, and Rent: All as in UC:E8/D3/17 above.

UC:E8/D3/21    29 Sep 1804
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/20 above.

UC:E8/D3/22    16 May 1818
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
            1    James Griffith, D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Benjamin Churchill of New Woodstock, Oxford, Auctioneer.
        Property: A tenement in New Woodstock known as the Blanford Arms Inn. Dimensions are given, as is a plan of the property.
        Rent: 53s 4d a year.

UC:E8/D3/23    16 May 1818
        Counterpart of UC:E8/D3/22 above, used as a draft for UC:E8/D3/24 below. UC:E8/M1/2 was found in this document.

UC:E8/D3/24    16 Mar 1835
        Lease for 40 Years
        Parties:
        1.    George Rowley. D.D., Master of University College, Oxford and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    Matilda Churchill of New Woodstock, Oxford, Widow.
        Property and Rent: As in UC:E8/D3/22 above, even with the inclusion of a plan of the property.

UC:E8/D3/25    11 Jun 1869
        Lease for 40 Years (running from 25 Mar 1860)
        Parties:
        1.    The Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford.
        2.    George Bowes Morland of Abingdon, Berks., Gent.
        Property: The Blandford Arms, New Woodstock (with dimensions and a plan given).
        Rent: £2 13s 4d a year.
        Comments: A letter from Morland about the lease is pinned to this document.

UC:E8/D3/26    6 Dec 1898
        Lease for 14 Years
        Parties:
        1.    The Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford.
        2.    Morland and Co., Limited, of the United Brewers Abingdon.
        Property: The Blandford Arms, New Woodstock.
        Rent: £30 a year.

The Register of Leases UC:EB1/A/6 pp. 408–11 has a copy of an otherwise lost lease of 1908 to Morland and Co. Limited of the Blandford Arms, Woodstock, at £30 a year. There seem to have been no leases issued in the interim.

The Register of Leases UC:EB1/A/7, pp. 345–6 has a copy of an otherwise lost conveyance of 12 December 1921, by which the College sold the Blandford Arms, Woodstock, to Frederick Albert Dodwell for £300.

    UC:E8/D4 - LEASES CONCERNING WATERSTOCK, 1585–1715

There are next to no extant leases concerning the College’s property in Waterstock, and none are recorded in the registers of leases. By the early eighteenth century it would appear that the College’s rights in this village had dwindled to the right to the first yearly crop on some fields there.

UC:E8/D4/1     25 Jul 27 Eliz I (1585)
        Draft lease for 7 years
        Parties:
        1.    Anthony Gate, Master of University College, Oxford, and the Fellows of the same.
        2.    James Bentlee of Waterstock, Oxon, Miller.
        Property: A parcel of meadow ground in Waterstock, Oxon, called [name left blank], which was lately bequeathed to the College by John Parrot
        Rent: 4s and 3 bushels and a peck of malt (or the cash equivalent) a year.

 

In the early 18th century, William Smith knew of two further documents, which he assigned the references Pyx R2 fasc. 2 nos. 3–4, but these could not be found in October 2007. According to his descriptions (UC:AR2/MS1/3 pp. 12–13), no. 3 was a note dated 1686 that a “Mr. Izard of Beckley” was the College’s tenant in Waterstock, and No. 4 wass a lease dated 8 Jun 1695 of land at Waterstock to Richard Mabely alias Scrivenor for 21 years at 6s a year. Smith noted that this lease was written on stamped paper.

UC:E8/D4/2    10 Feb 1714/15
        Lease for 7 Years
        Parties:
        1     Sir John Curson of Waterperry, Oxfordshire, Bart.
        2    William Hart of Whately, Oxfordshire, Mercer
        Property: Meadow called Lower Great Mead, now occupied by William Hart, and part of meadow called Upper Great Mead containing 11 acres, lying next to a meadow called Pale Mead and also in the tenure of William Hart, excepting wood rights (reserved to 1), and the first yearly crop on two small parcels of land containing about 12 poles of land in the Lower Great Mead belonging to University College Oxford, and the parish church of Waterperry, with liberty of access thereto.
        Rent: £70 a year, with an additional £5 on any ground converted to tillage.

        UC:E8/C1 - LETTERS AND PAPERS CONCERNING WATERSTOCK, 1811–15

UC:E8/C1/1    1811
        "Abstract of deeds... relating to the benefaction of Sir Simon Parett to University College Oxford". This quotes deeds from 1566 to 1714/15.

UC:E8/C1/2    9 Nov 1812
        Three sheets of notes by George Rowley about the Waterstock lands. There was clearly some uncertainty about its exact whereabouts by this time.

UC:E8/C1/3    12 Nov 1812
        Copy of a solicitor’s letter to George Roper Curzon of Waterperry House concerning the exact boundaries of the land owned by University College in Waterstock.

UC:E8/C1/4    May 1815
        Minutes taken by Rowley of a meeting at University College concerning its property in Flamstead (Herts.) and Waterstock.

UC:E8/C1/5–6    8 Jun 1815 and undated
        Two letters from George Rowley to Clayton and Scott, solicitors, concerning the Waterstock property.

    UC:E8/C2 - LETTERS AND PAPERS CONCERNING WOODSTOCK, 1818–66

UC:E8/C2/1–2    26 & 28 Apr 1818
        2 letters from Benjamin Churchill (address, Woodstock) to Rev. William Crabtree, Bursar of University College, concerning the entry fine for renewing his lease on a property there.

UC:E8/C2/3    n.d. (after 1835; possibly 1846)
        Application for a licence of alienation on the Blandford Arms from the executors of James Edward Spenlowe to assign the pub to William Dolphin. Presumably connected with the documents below.

UC:E8/C2/4    11 Jun 1846
        Specification of repairs to be carried out on the Blandford Arms under the conditions of the 1835 lease, with a note of whether they were carried out or not.

UC:E8/C2/5    21 Jul 1846
        Draft letter to Francis Spenlow, executrix of John Francis Spenlow, about the repairs which have and have not been carried out on the Blandford Arms.

UC:E8/C2/6    22 May 1854
        Letter to the Master of University College concerning the very poor state of the Blandford Arms, Woodstock.

UC:E8/C2/7    28 Jun 1854
        List of repairs deemed necessary to be carried out at the Blandford Arms.

UC:E8/C2/8    Feb 1866
        Particular and valuation of the Blandford Arms, Woodstock.

UC:E8/C3 - LETTERS ABOUT REDEEMING RENT CHARGES ON THE LANDS, 1926/7

UC:E8/C3/1    21 Dec 1926–11 Mar 1927
        Envelope containing correspondence with the Charity Commission  concerning the redemption of a rent charge of £1 17s which was payable by University College to the church of St. Peter in the East from the lands at Waterstock and Woodstock given to it under Simon Perrot’s benefaction. University College agreed to make a down payment of £76, from which the Charity Commissioners would make an annual payment to the church [5 items]

UC:E8/C3/2    13 Apr–16 Jun 1927
        Envelope containing further correspondence concerning the redemption of the rent charge to St. Peter’s in the East on the College property given by Simon Perrot [7 items].

    UC:E8/M1 - PLANS OF THE BLANDFORD ARMS, WOODSTOCK

UC:E8/M1/1    n.d. (c. 1818)
        Plan of the ground floor of the “Blanford Arms”, New Woodstock (dimensions are given, as are functions of rooms).
        Scale: 1 inch to 20 feet.
        Size: 335 by 210 mm.
        Medium: Ink.
        Support: Paper.
        Format: 1 sheet.
        Comments: On the back of this plan is a note that this house is leased to Mr. Churchill. It was therefore made at the same time as, or soon after, the lease of 1818 (UC:E8/D3/22), which has a plan very similar to this one.

UC:E8/M1/2    n.d. (after 1818)
        Plan of the ground floor of the ‘Blandford Arms’, New Woodstock (some dimensions are given, as are the names of rooms)
        Scale: None given.
        Size: 240 by 160 mm.
        Medium: Ink.
        Support: Paper.
        Format: 1 sheet.
        Comments: This plan was found in the counterpart of the 1818 lease (UC:E8/D3/23), and was presumably drawn after this time. It bears some emendations, which were perhaps drawn for the 1835 lease.