William Bryan Todd-Naylor (who apparently usually answered to his second name) matriculated at University College in 1912. While at the College, he was a member of the First Eight of 1914 which went Head of the River. When war broke out, he joined up, and was killed in August 1916. This photograph album was kept by him while at College, and descended to his nephew C. B. H. Barford (matr. 1946), who presented it to the College in September 2003 as Accession No. 454.
Photograph album compiled by W. B. Todd-Naylor while an undergraduate of University College. There are no captions. Its contents are as follows:
Fol. 0v: View of University College from the east, with horse-drawn cabs parked outside Queen’s College.
Fol. 1: View of University College from the north.
Fol. 1v: View of the Front Quad, seen from the south (note that James II’s right hand was missing even then).
Fol. 2: Group photo of the First Torpid 1913 [names of the teams on this, and the photos on fols. 2v–3 and 13, can be found in the copies in the Boat Club’s own album for 1908–20, UC:O1/P1/4]
Fol. 2v: Group photo of the Second Eight, 1913.
Fol. 3: Group photo of the First Torpid, 1914.
Fols. 3v–7: Photographs of the First Torpid of 1914 in action, including some images of them making bumps.
Fols. 7v–12: Photographs of the First Eight of 1914, including a group walking along the tow path, images of some of the races, and culminating in celebrations by the College barge.
Fol. 12v: Photograph of the First Eight, 1914, seated in their boat and stationed outside the College barge.
Fol. 13: Group photo of the First Eight, 1914, in College.
Fol. 13v: Three more photographs of the First Eight of 1914 in action.
Fol. 14: Photograph, presumably of the Head of the River dinner held at the end of Eights Week.
Fol. 14v: Group photo of members of the College, 1913.
Fol. 15: Group photo of members of the College, 1914.
Fol. 15v: View of the Chapel, facing east, showing the east end after the rebuilding of the 1860s before it was modified in the 1920s.
Fol. 16: View of the Hall facing east.
The remainder of the album is unused.
The archives also include some postcards sent by Todd-Naylor to his sister during Eights Week 1914.