William Lodge matriculated from University College on 19 March 1685/6 aged 17. According to the College’s Admissions Register he was the younger son of John Lodge, a citizen of York, and came up as a Servitor. The Bursar’s Books of 1687/8–1688/9 (UC:BU3/F1/15–16) list him among the undergraduates of the lowest status in the College. On 2 January 1689/90 he was elected a Hunt Exhibitioner, but he was deprived of his award on 6 July 1693 for being absent without leave.
Lodge’s later career was solidly successful: by 1708 he was Rector of Sepperton, Lincs., and he came into some family property. Under his will of 1681, his father John Lodge had left two houses in at York, at Briggate near the River Ouse, and some land at Healaugh to William, and some land at Wighill to his youngest son George. To judge from the deeds in UC:E18/1/D6, however, George Lodge appears to have got himself into debt, and so William bought the Wighill lands off him in 1708. Of these places, Healaugh and Wighill are both in the Ainsty of York (“Ainsty” being the term for the region just outside the city of York) and close to the city. It would seem, however, that John’s widow Anne was bequeathed some property at least for life from her husband, because in 1708 she bequeathed William Lodge her house in York, and also one half of a messuage or farm at Wighill.
When William Lodge died in November 1737, his will revealed that he had left his properties in the city of York, Healaugh and Wighill to University College, subject to an annuity to his sister Sarah Sowrey, to support three Servitors who were each to receive £10 a year. Lodge asked that preference be given first to his own kin, then to candidates from the city of York, and then from the county of Yorkshire. The first three Lodge Scholars were all elected in June 1739.
The land at Healaugh was sold in 1859 and the land at Wighill in two instalments, in 1870 and 1921. The houses in York were retained for a while longer, augmented by the purchase of a neighbouring property in 1877/8 (see UC:E18/2/C2 below). By the 1940s, the York houses comprised an inn called Ye Olde No. Five Inn, and several small houses situated in York near the River Ouse. These houses were all sold in 1948 (UCR 1948, p. 5).
Because the College’s lands in and around Pontefract which funded the Freeston Trust (described in UC:E12) were not too distant from the Lodge Estates, there are several references to the Lodge Estates in that collection.
The documents in this collection were all found in the archives during the stocktaking of 1993.
Catalogued in January 2012.
A pdf version of the full catalogue can be downloaded here.