Academic Support for Undergraduates

The academic welfare of undergraduate students is primarily the responsibility of tutors and the Senior Tutor, Dr Bell. 

There may be times when other college officers and staff with a welfare role are also involved in offering support when there are concerns about a student’s academic progress. These include the Chaplain & Welfare Fellow, the College Nurse, and the Adviser for International Students. Undergraduates are welcome to contact any of them with concerns about their work or about any other member.

Dr Bell, the Senior Tutor, is happy to meet with students to discuss any matter. To arrange an appointment, please contact the Academic Services Manager, Miss Sally Stubbs (, 2-76951), or contact Dr Bell directly (


Dr Bell is the only person who can authorise special arrangements for exams, or can ask university examiners to be aware of difficulties that a student may be facing. Therefore it is very important that he is aware of information about difficulties affecting a student’s academic progress and performance so that he can ask for such difficulties to be taken into account.

Academic Office staff are able to advise students on a wide range of academic, administrative and financial matters. If you’ve got any questions about student support, just ask.

Disability and Illness

Our provision for academic welfare includes the reasonable adjustments that we make for students who have a disability or who are ill or injured at a particular time. For example, the College works closely with the University Disability Advisory Service (site opens in new window) to offer specialist support for students with specific learning disabilities or mentors for students with depression, and can also make special arrangements for exams.


Sensitive information about disabilities or illness are securely filed in the Student Welfare Office, and are not part of a student’s academic record. Further information is available in the College Confidentiality Policy (PDF opens in new window.)